Papaya is a sweet-tasting fruit that is rich in vitamins A, C as well as vitamin E and beta-carotene. It is easily digested and ripe papaya is packed with energy-boosting natural sugars.
1) The three very powerful antioxidants in papaya help in preventing the oxidation of cholesterol. When cholesterol becomes oxidized, it sticks to blood vessels to form dangerous plaque. When this happens, it can lead to a heart attack or stroke.
2) Papaya contains an enzyme called papain which aids in digestion especially to break down proteins into amino acids which are essential for the healthy functions of our body.
3) Eating papaya after a meal aids in digestion and prevents bloating. It is also great as a natural laxative to relieve constipation. The fiber present in papaya can also help reduce the symptoms of people suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.
4) To help prevent colon cancer, the high fiber in this fruit binds cancer-causing toxins in the colon and flushes them out of our body through bowel movements.
5) If you suffer from intestinal disorders, the papain present in raw papaya will stimulate the production of gastric juice and help get rid of excess unhealthy mucus in the stomach and soothe any intestinal irritation.
6) Raw papaya juice is also considered beneficial for skin related problems like acne and psoriasis
7) Irregular menstruation can be controlled by drinking the juice of raw papaya as it causes contraction of muscles in the womb and regular menstrual flow.
8) Papaya is low in calories and sodium.
With all the above mentioned health benefits, it pays to eat papaya regularly. Green papayas can be eaten raw in Thai cuisine as a salad or cooked as a soup with pork bones.